Payroll FAQs

1. When are Monthly Leave Reports due?

Monthly leave reports must be submitted and approved by the 10th day of the month following the reporting period.


2. Where do I find the Payroll-related forms that I need?

You may view the Payroll Forms link.


3. If the address on my pay stub/advice is incorrect, do I need to change it?

Yes. Please update address in Banner.


4. What am I claiming on my W-4?

W-4 filing status and exemptions appear on your pay stub/advice. See Item 19 on the Pay Advice illustration.


5. How do I change my exemptions?

You must complete and sign a current year Form W-4.


6. What do I need to do if I have direct deposit and I am changing banks. How long will the change take?

To electronically establish, change or cancel direct deposit information login at, click the ‘Employee’ tab then locate the ‘Direct Deposit’ link within the ‘Banner Self Service’ window. This authorization is effective immediately upon submission and will be utilized on the next payment processed.


7. Can I do direct deposit to two different banks or accounts?

Yes. The Payroll system allows up to 2 additional flat dollar amount direct deposits in addition to their primary.


8. Will students get paid early for Spring Break?

No. Students are paid on the regularly scheduled pay date.


9. What department did my check go to?

Checks are distributed to an employee’s primary job department. Advices are securely emailed to your NMSU email account.

If we have not answered your question, please contact us at 575-646-2000 or